Skip to main content

I Got A Hearing Aid!

Last summer I went to get my hearing checked after a couple of years, and it turned out my left ear had gone worse. It had happened so gradually I hadn't even noticed. I had my doubts, but never really believed it until I saw my audiogram on paper. I've now lost the high pitched noises, like bird singing, and struggle to hear people in crowds. After the results last summer I went to see an ENT, and told him I need a hearing aid. He, at first, said I was a borderline case, and doubted whether I needed a hearing aid since my right ear was perfectly fine. But then he took a look at my previous audiograms and figured if my hearing continued to deteriorate at this speed, it's better to get a hearing aid sooner rather than later, and so he put me down for one. Since I wasn't an acute case, I needed to wait about six months to get to my actual hearing aid appointment.

That appointment was on the last day of January. Since I still had an infection in both of my ears, we were unable to test my hearing and make a mould of my ear canal, but I did get to pick a color for my hearing aid and it was ordered for me. My appointment for a hearing test and mould making was moved to the following week, this week, and fortunately my ear infection had ceased from my left ear. My audiogram showed little to no change to last summer, and I was also pleasantly surprised that my hearing aid had already arrived! I'm now wearing it with a receiver in my ear, a very basic one, until I get my own personalised ear piece in about a month.


The first time I tried it on everything, including my own voice, sounded like talking to a microphone. With a few adjustments we were able to minimise that. And then I started noticing how I can pick up consonants better than before, especially the S's sounded sharp and clear. I put all my new documents and things to a plastic bag and it ruffled so loud. Did they always make that much noise?

I now have a month to get adjusted to living with my new piece of accessory before I get the final receiver. So far I'm liking this thing. It's way smaller than I thought, practically invisible. I wouldn't have minded a bigger one, either, but granted, this one is pretty sweet. I'll update you guys later with more experience.

Before I left my audiologist's office, she played me bird singing from her computer with the hearing aid off and on. When it was on, I could hear the birds :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perks of Being Hard of Hearing

My hearing has deteriorated so slowly that I never even realized it was happening. I knew it was happening, but as far as I'm concerned I hear just as well as I did five years ago. But... I really don't. I mean, I really don't. Here's a picture of my very first audiogram back in 2012 when I'd never heard of Meniere's disease compared to an audiogram from July of 2016:


The truth is, even after the latest audiogram I didn't feel as hard of hearing as I am on paper. My right ear being healthy naturally has a lot to do with why I feel that way, but still. I never noticed how bad my left ear had gotten. Every now and then I would pay attention to it and take advantage of certain aspects of my hearing loss, but I never thought about it any further. You know what I mean?
I'm getting a hearing aid for my left ear sometime this spring, which ought to make things a bit easier for me, since I don't do so well in crowds, classrooms, and other noisy environments…

My First Tattoo

So, I got inked. And I love it!
I don't take tattoos lightly. When I was a teenager, I was sure I would get my first tattoo the second I turned eighteen. Good thing that didn't happen... Tattoos are, as you know, permanent. Before I stumbled upon sign language tattoos I had never found anything that I would permanently want inked on my skin. And when I found this design, I wanted to think it through. Would I regret it? Is it a bad idea? 
I'm not opposed to beautiful tattoos that people get just because. To each their own. However, I decided early on that if I was ever going to get a tattoo, it would have to mean something, and it would have to be a personal decision, and there for myself, not for anyone else. It would have to be in a place where I can show it, but a place I can also cover up if needed. No way was I going to get a tattoo that would insult somebody in any way. 
So, why this tattoo? I'm a very different person from who I was a year ago. With my progressi…

What I Can't Do With Meniere's Disease

Over the years I've come to some realisations about things I'm no longer able to do due to having Meniere's disease. Before you read any further, please remind yourself that this disease is different with everyone, and what's not working for me might be working for someone else. This post is also not me complaining about things I've had to give up. I'm just presenting some facts here :)


Rollercoasters. Ah, I used to love going to amusement parks and riding rollercoasters and other rides. I LOVE amusement parks. Now, unfortunately, my balance goes way off if I get on a ride, so I no longer have to spend crazy amounts of money on those wrist bands...

Walk down the stairs without holding onto the banister. I still have good days when I can just run down the stairs with no problems, but most of the time I need to hold onto something. If it's dark, I definitely have to be careful on the stairs.

Function well without proper sleep. I need my sleep, I really do, or I …